Sunday, July 21, 2013

Primal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I miss cookies.  I was never much of a cake person, but I STILL always find it nearly impossible to turn down a good-looking cookie.  I tried several different paleo cookie recipes before finally finding the perfect cookie for me.  I think the trouble I was having with all of the paleo cookies I was making was the fact that they were all TRYING to be regular, wheat-laden cookies - trying to replicate the texture and sponginess of a traditional cookie.  The recipe that finally convinced me that paleo could make a good cookie was from Mark Sisson.  The trick is that it's not a paleo cookie - it's a paleo VERSION of a cookie.  It embraces the crunch of the nuts that form the cookie's base and doesn't try to replicate the texture of gluten (which, honestly, can't really be done to any satisfying degree).  Based in the toasted flavor of walnuts and pecans, and topped off with the deep, unique flavor of dark chocolate, this cookie is hugely satisfying and a lot more nutritious (and filling!) than a traditional cookie.

Cookware:
1 cookie sheet
1 food processor

Ingredients:
4 dates, pitted
1 1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup (or less) dark chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. Process dates in your food processor until a paste forms (about 40 seconds).
3. Add walnuts and pecans and process for another 35 seconds (I go a little longer to chop the nuts a little finer - I prefer the finer texture as the base but I've thoroughly enjoyed them both ways)
4. Add baking soda and salt and pulse a few times.
5. With processor running, drizzle in liquified coconut oil, egg and vanilla.  Stop the processor as soon as everything is incorporated.
6. Remove batter to large mixing bowl.  Stir in shredded coconut and chocolate chips (using a big spoon or your hands).
7. Portion out 12 cookies and flatten slightly (you may also want to round out the cracked edges of the cookies)
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are browned.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to whip up a batch of these right now - because just writing about them has given me a serious hankerin'.  Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment