Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ginger Carrot Soup

I freaking LOVE ginger.  I'm sure that's no surprise to you, considering so many of my recipes have ginger front and center (Moroccan Chicken Casserole, Roasted Cashew-Covered Broccoli, Chicken Tikka Masala).  It's a powerhouse spice that I just adore in all forms.  I also sometimes get a little bored chowing down on fibrous veggies all the time - so it's nice to be able to make something OUT OF the vegetables that provides a different texture and mouthfeel to my meal (both important aspects of a satisfying meal, along with flavor and aroma, of course).  It takes a little time, but very little effort, to make this delicious side dish.

Cookware:

stockpot with lid
a blender (or food processor)

Ingredients:

3 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh ginger, finely chopped*
4 cups carrots, peeled and chopped (approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups orange juice (freshly squeezed is best; this is what I would call the "secret ingredient" of this soup)
dash nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste

*My friend who first introduced me to this soup (Hi Renee!!), leaves the thin, papery skin on the ginger when cooking it.  I was completely put off by this but happily admit that the skins did not add any unwanted flavor to the final product and even added a rustic element.  Despite this admission, I still always peel my ginger - 'cause my Mama raised me right.

Directions:
1. Heat the coconut oil in your stockpot over medium high heat.  Add your onions and ginger and saute until onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
2. Add carrots and vegetable broth and reduce heat to medium.  Simmer for about 40 minutes or until carrots are soft.  Add orange juice and remove from heat.
3.  Working in stages, puree the simmered ingredients in your blender.
4.  Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper and serve.

Crazy simple, right?  And the final result is a wonderfully sweet, (carrot), spicy (ginger) and tart (orange juice) soup that's refreshing and satisfying.  Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, this recipe is 100% vegan as well.



No picture?!  I suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment