Thursday, July 26, 2012

Garlic Green Beans with Toasted Almonds

****UPDATE****
Want to know how it tastes?  Check out the episode of Table Scraps featuring these delicious green goodies.


When I found out that Primal eating frowned upon consuming legumes, I was worried I would have to give up green beans.  Fortunately, because green beans are eaten fresh (not dried like most legumes), they are designated “Paleo-k” by my favorite Primal guru, Mark Sisson.  Hallelujah!  When my mom first made this dish for me a few years ago, I was blown away with how tasty it was, especially considering how simple it was to prepare.  I  slightly tweaked her recipe to make it more Primal-friendly: fresh, organic green beans instead of frozen, french-cut beans; and clarified butter instead of conventional butter.

Special Equipment needed:
large skillet/saute pan
pasta pot or stock pot
small skillet/saute pan

Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed*
1 tbsp clarified butter
½ cup - 1 cup almonds, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic; minced

*to trim green beans, simply snap off the stubby, brown ends using your thumbnail




Instructions:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil (to save time and energy, put a lid on your pot to help it boil faster).  Add green beans and boil until bright green, about 8 minutes.  I prefer my green beans with a bit of crunch so make sure to taste test the beans before taking them off the heat.  Drain the green beans and set aside.
2. Melt 1 tbsp clarified butter in a small saute pan over medium heat.  Add your chopped almonds and toast until browned slightly.  Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
3. Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for a few minutes, until fragrant.  Add green beans and toasted almonds, tossing to coat.


 
Want to know how it tastes?  Click HERE to see a review of this dish by my extremely critical (and extremely bald) friend, Jeremy.

No comments:

Post a Comment