Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bacon and Rosemary Cauliflower Mash


I don't really miss potatoes.  After a year of eating Primal, I've come to the conclusion that sides like rice, pasta and white-fleshed potatoes aren't very tasty.  They're merely vehicles for something more flavorful and satiating - like stew, chili, Indian food, or pot roast.  I've really enjoyed finding vegetable substitutes for carb-heavy staples.  I discovered a delicious Meat Lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles, I perfected roasting a spaghetti squash to serve along with my favorite Bolognese Sauce and I make coconut flour tortillas on a regular basis (for tacos and enchiladas).  My next experiment is zucchini and squash noodles - yum.  I originally found this recipe on Robb Wolf's site.  It yields at least 6 servings.

Special Equipment Needed:

food processor (or blender)
medium stock pot with lid

Ingredients: 

2 heads cauliflower; stem removed, cut into florets
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 tsp black pepper
2-4 cloves garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 sprig rosemary
3-4 slices cooked, thick-slice bacon
2 tbsp olive oil

Instructions:

1.  Place chopped cauliflower into stock pot along with chicken stock and garlic cloves.
2.  Steam cauliflower until you can easily smush it with a fork (start with 20 minutes and go from there).  If you take out the cauliflower before it's "smushable" the mash won't be smooth.
3.  Place all contents of pot into food processor along with olive oil, rosemary and bacon.
4.  Mix until smooth.  Do not overmix.  When it looks creamy, STOP MIXING.


Had to process the cauliflower a bit first, to make room for the bacon and rosemary


I love serving this alongside my favorite bison chili.  A little bit of rosemary goes a long way and the bacon is well, bacon - so it's awesome.  Happy nomming!

No comments:

Post a Comment