Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paleo Smoothies


Smoothies have been my morning savior on this diet.  I've always had trouble with breakfast.  I think I may have a negative association with meals in the early morning, due to growing up with chronic morning stomach aches.  These smoothies have allowed me to get the necessary calorie and vitamin intake to start my day, without slowing me down and making me sleepy - like Carnation Instant Breakfast or Pillsbury Toaster Strudel used to do.  These smoothies (especially the all-fruit ones) are a great snack or post-workout carb load when you need a quick and easy meal replacement.



I must express the importance of personal preference as far as measurements go.  Maybe you like your smoothies slushy with ice; maybe you prefer a chunkier blend so that you can chew on tasty whole bits of fruit.  While I prefer my fruit smoothies with a base of berries, you may prefer oranges, peaches, kiwi, mangoes, spinach**, kale, or any number of whole fruits and vegetables available in your local produce section.*

*Although I would advise having SOME berries in your daily diet; they're good for you!

Breakfast Berry Smoothie

1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (NOT Light - in this case, you WANT the calories since this drink is taking the place of a meal)
1 1/2 cups berries (I usually do 1 cup thawed Nature's Three Berries and 4 strawberries)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 banana
2 heaping spoonfuls of almond butter
1 Omega-3 free-range egg, raw (if you cannot bring yourself to consume a raw egg, use one serving's worth or less of protein powder)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

 pre-blend


Primal Chocolate Smoothie

3 tbsp hemp protein powder
4 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp raw honey
1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup water (or homemade almond milk)
4 strawberries

Pina Colada Smoothie

1/2 cup pineapple
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Omega-3 free-range egg, raw
1/4 cup 100% pineapple juice
1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 heaping tbsp almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 strawberries
1 banana

EDIT: Since the original post, I've been trying out some new ingredient combinations. The following smoothie recipe is my new go-to every morning.  I've upped the protein content since I've been exercising more frequently.

**Spinach and Strawberry Smoothie
2 cups spinach
1 banana
8 frozen strawberries
1 spoonful cocoa powder
1 spoonful almond butter
2/3 cup coconut milk (or half of an avocado)
a splash of vanilla extract
a dash of cinnamon
2 Omega-3 free-range eggs
1 tablespoon chia seeds
coconut water/water (if consistency is too thick)

Happy blending!

No comments:

Post a Comment