Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apple, Banana and Blueberry Muffins

My best friend Adrienne sent me a text last night, declaring that she and her husband are 'going paleo' for two weeks.  Adrienne is an avid baker (her pies are to die for) and I realize that the idea of giving up gluten (even for a few weeks) is not going to be easy for her.  To help ease her into the diet, I'm making my first recipe post a delicious baked good: Apple, Banana and Blueberry Muffins.

 om nom nom

I found this recipe on fastpaleo.com and it's pretty full-proof.  No fancy cooking tools.  No regimented adding of dry to wet etcetera.  Just ingredients, a muffin tin and an oven.  Prep and cooking time takes about half an hour total.  Oh, and your kitchen will smell AMAZING.

2 1/4 cup almond flour (I've been buying mine at Sprouts for months but now I've finally caught wise and just buy bulk almonds and make my own in a food processor)
4 free-range/omega-3 eggs
1 organic apple (I use Granny Smith), peeled and chopped
1 super-ripe banana
1/3 cup blueberries
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaping tbsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mash banana with fork in large mixing bowl; add finely chopped apple
3. Add all other ingredients (I usually do the coconut oil last for fear of it re-solidifying at room temperature) and mix by hand (fun!)
4. Grease muffin cups with coconut oil (I usually dab a paper towel in the oil to avoid clumps of coconut oil in the cups); fill muffin cups about 3/4 full (I use a stand-alone 1/4 cup measuring cup to help me portion everything evenly); bake for 15-17 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
5.  Allow to cool slightly, then remove muffins from tin (I usually cover the tin in a clean dish towel, hold the towel at both ends, and flip the muffin tin over); continue to cool on cooling rack and enjoy with some grass-fed butter (if you do dairy) or clarified butter (if you don't).

I got fancy with my muffins




No comments:

Post a Comment